- Education: Marshall University, Bachelor of Science, Business Administration (1997), Master of Science, Safety Management (1998).
- Profession: Amerisure Insurance, senior loss control consultant.
- Job description: A resident of Chester, Va., Shannon performs loss control surveys of property and casualty exposures. He also performs accident investigations and policyholder-based consultative services, including evaluations of risk management programs and safety procedures.
- Childhood hero: Several individuals in the community such as Donald Crawford and Bill Butter and school teachers such as Mike Baumann (shop class) and Greg Tankersley (science) from Lincoln Jr. High. "They all took the time to talk to me as a young man about self respect, the rewards from having an education, following through with the choices I made, how to work as a team player and most importantly, actively listening to me when I had questions in general."
- Family inspiration: Grandmother. "Her wisdom, strength, patience, love and faith."
- Personal quote: "The act of giving oneself is the most selfless thing you can do."
- Education: United States Air Force (1992-2002), University of La Verne (Calif.), Bachelor of Arts, Business, (2002); Averett University (Va.), Master of Business Administration (2005).
- Profession: Director of commercial banking, EVB.
- Job description: A resident of Richmond, Va., Chris helps provide companies with various types of financial solutions. He primarily helps companies in the small to middle markets with funding for things such as business expansion, business acquisitions, equipment financing, commercial real estate acquisitions as well as working capital needs.
- Childhood influence: Cousin Jonathan. "He always took time to sit down with me and explain the importance of education and how that that would open doors for me as I went through school and became an adult."
- Family inspiration: Mom. "As a young teenager, I watched my mother raise me and my brother while working and going to school to create a better life for us. Her hard work and determination inspired me to want to do great things with my life and helped to instill the strong work ethic I have today."
- Personal quote: "Always lead by example and inspire others to be great."
TEAM KRL would like to thank God and applaud all those who have supported the B4 program. Stay blessed.
- Education: Marshall University, Bachelor of Arts, Journalism (1995)
- Profession: Sports Columnist, Montgomery Advertiser
- Job description: A resident of Montgomery, Ala., Duane writes a weekly column, blogs and produces videos. In his 18-year career, Rankin has written stories about sports figures such as two-time NBA MVP LeBron James, 2010-11 NBA MVP Derrick Rose, five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, Michael Vick, Tom Brady and Cam Newton. Rankin recently wrote a column about the 2013 recruiting class of two-time defending champion Alabama.
- Childhood influence: Older brother Greg. "Not only did he look out for me when I was young, he showed me by example how to be responsible and genuine."
- Family inspiration: Mom. "Her amazing spirit, unyielding faith and pure love for family are values I pride myself on living by. She takes on challenges and prevails."
- Personal quote: "People only kill your dreams if you allow them to take ownership of them by discouraging you from pursuing what you want to achieve in life."
By working Together, we Each can Achieve More
TEAM KRL is comprised of childhood friends Shannon King, Duane Rankin and Chris Layne. The Huntington natives and 1990 Huntington High grads are driven to give back to the community what it gave them as kids growing up there.